[Icecast] RE: Two questions

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed Feb 16 21:56:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 21:29, Murray Saul wrote:
> I am happy using icecast/ices, but have two questions:
>
> 1. If I was using cron to schedule a switching of a playlist,  can I do
> this without restarting icecast so that at a SPECIFIC TIME (let's say at
> exactly 3:00 pm) a new song can be played without interupting the user
> listening to the broadcast.

ices can be signalled to skip to the next track (which will mean a
reread of the playlist if it has changed)

> 2. Is there a setting when the user first connects to play a *welcome*
> file (i.e. about the radio station, etc....)

Not in the trunk/releases, but I have some work in my branch for testing
such a thing (svn or http://mediacast1.com/~karl/ kh6 is latest). Just
add

<intro>/path/to/intro.ogg</intro>

in the <mount> section relating to the stream. The filename is currently
relative to <webroot>, so you can download it as a normal file as well.

Using intro files is still subject to the same considerations as
fallback mounts, ie same format as the stream they relate to, and stick
to the same values for samplerate and channels.

karl.