[Icecast] Player Problems

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Feb 10 14:40:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 14:18, Chris Weaver wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Has anyone come across problems listening back to Mp3
> streams using VLC?
>
> The reason I ask is that we [ResonanceFM] stream at
> 128K and at 24K (using two different Icecast
> instances). All players (Zinf, Winamp, Media Player
> etc) can play both streams bar VLC which seems to
> exhibt a skipping (i.e like the sound of a CD) problem
> when playing the 24K stream. Incidently it plays the
> 128 fine.

I have noticed that some versions of vlc have been known to trigger a
speed up/slow down/dropping data of playback midstream. I usually see
messages like the one you reported or resampling messages.  There really
isn't much icecast can do for these situations, it's purely something
that vlc is doing.

I suspect it's just some tolerance level in VLC being set incorrectly,
make sure the VLC people know about the problem and the version you have
(you can easily repeat the problem as well).

karl.