[Icecast] setting up a windows icecast server

Chris McMichael chris at chris-on-the-web.com
Wed Feb 9 04:14:57 UTC 2005

I'm having problems with setting a windows icecast server.  Below is what my icecast config file looks like.

<icecast>
    <!-- set hard limits for server usage -->
    <limits>
        <!-- max number of clients at a time -->
        <clients>100</clients>
        <!-- max number of sources at a time -->
        <sources>25</sources>
        <!-- number of threads available to handle clients -->
        <threadpool>5</threadpool>
        <!-- size of internal queue maintained for each client -->
        <queue-size>102400</queue-size>
        <!-- timeout for clients -->
        <client-timeout>60</client-timeout>
        <!-- timeout for clients to send headers -->
        <header-timeout>15</header-timeout>
        <!-- timeout for sources to start sending content -->
        <source-timeout>10</source-timeout>
    </limits>

    <authentication>
        <!-- password for source clients -->
        <source-password>abcdefg</source-password>
        <!-- username/password for admin -->
        <admin-user>admin</admin-user>
        <admin-password>acb123</admin-password>
    </authentication>

    <!-- hostname of the server -->
    <hostname>www.chris-on-the-web.com</hostname>

    <!-- port for server to listen to for incoming connections -->
    <listen-socket>
        <port>8000</port>
    </listen-socket>

    <!-- file locations -->
    <paths>
        <basedir>./</basedir>
        <logdir>./logs</logdir>
        <webroot>./web</webroot>
        <adminroot>./admin</adminroot>
  <alias source="/" dest="/status.xsl"/>
    </paths>

    <!-- log file names and log level -->
    <logging>
        <accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
        <errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
       <loglevel>4</loglevel> <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
    </logging>

    <!-- security settings -->
    <security>
        <!-- run server as this user/group -->
        <changeowner>
            <user>nobody</user>
            <group>nogroup</group>
        </changeowner>
    </security>
</icecast>

Is there anything that I am leaving out?

When turning on my server, I get the main icecast screen and I can also login to the admin part and that is it.  I am wanting to use ezstream but I'm unsure how this part really works.  Doesn't there need to be some kind of pointer that points to the ezstream directory where my playlist file is located?   Below is what my ezstream config file looks like.

<!-- This example is for a input playlist that must contain
     all MP3 files. ezstream will perform NO reencoding, and
     the destination stream bitrate, channels, etc. will be those
     of the input files -->
<ezstream>
    <url>http://www.chris-on-the-web.com:8000/cwradio</url>
    <sourcepassword>macmichael01</sourcepassword>
    <format>MP3</format>
    <filename>playlist.m3u</filename>
 <!-- The following settings are used to describe your stream
         to the server.  It's up to you to make sure the
         bitrate/quality/samplerate/channels
         match up to your input stream -->
    <svrinfoname>CW Radio</svrinfoname>
    <svrinfourl>http://www.chris-on-the-web.com</svrinfourl>
    <svrinfogenre>RockNRoll</svrinfogenre>
    <svrinfodescription>Great Rock Tunes</svrinfodescription>
    <svrinfobitrate>128</svrinfobitrate>
    <!-- Quality is only applicable to ogg vorbis streams -->
    <!-- <svrinfoquality>1.0</svrinfoquality> -->
    <svrinfochannels>2</svrinfochannels>
    <svrinfosamplerate>44100</svrinfosamplerate>
    <svrinfopublic>1</svrinfopublic>
</ezstream>

Please help me solve this problem!!
Chris