[Icecast] streaming to dialup users gives low quality audio

Klaas Jan Wierenga k.j.wierenga at home.nl
Fri Dec 30 19:30:56 UTC 2005

There are two things that caught my attention in this post.

When you say 22050 kHz sampling rate, two channels and bitrate 24. Do you
mean 24 kbps stereo (which would be 12 kbps per channel, i.e. real bad audio
quality), or 48 kpbs stereo (24 kbps for each channel).

When you talk about dial-up, do you mean analog dial-up that is limited to
56 kbit/sec? In that case streaming at 48kbps is pushing it since many
dial-up connections won't reach that speed because of bad line quality. The
safest way to go is to stream in mono and don't push the bitrate beyond
24kbps or 32kbps if you really must.

KJ