[Icecast] streaming to dialup users gives low quality audio

Greg J. Ogonowski greg at orban.com
Fri Dec 30 19:32:53 UTC 2005

This is another reason aacPlus is an advantage.
It is supported using Orban Opticodec-PC Streaming Encoder, Icecast2
Servers and Winamp.

http://www.orban.com/orban/products/stream/1010_overview.html

Icecast2 Eval Stream here:

http://www.orban.com/orban/products/stream/orban_eval_ice.pls

-greg.

At 11:05 2005-12-30, Dave wrote:
>Hello,
>    I've got two streams, one for broadband, one for dialup. Well,
> having had occation to use a dialup connection recently i checked
> the dialup stream. Although it was streaming what the broadband
> stream was, the audio quality was audibly worse. It didn't buffer,
> but it didn't sound as clear as the broadband stream. I used lame
> to encode the tracks to mp3 and used it's standard preset while
> doing it. In my ices.conf file for the dialup stream i originally
> had a samplerate of 22050, two chanels, and a bitrate of 24. I
> changed the bitrate up to 56, which resulted in a noticeable audio
> increase in quality but the buffering was unacceptable. If anyone
> has settings that work i would be interested in hearing about them.
>Thanks.
>Dave.

Greg J. Ogonowski
VP Product Development