[Icecast] relay password

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Dec 15 18:48:12 UTC 2005

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the Icecast configuration file, there is a
> 	[...]
> 	<relay-password>hackme</relay-password>
> 	[...]
> What is it for?
> I have multiple Icecast server that relay each others and the relays are
> considered as simple clients.
>
> That is confirmed by the...
> [...]
>     <relay>
>         <server>127.0.0.1</server>
>         <port>8001</port>
>         <mount>/example.ogg</mount>
>         <local-mount>/different.ogg</local-mount>
>         <on-demand>0</on-demand>
>         <relay-shoutcast-metadata>0</relay-shoutcast-metadata>
>     </relay>
> [...]
>
> ...where there is not mention of any password.

you can specify a username and password within <relay> if it's a stream
that requires it, but again it's as if you are an authenticated listener

> Would you just give me how to use that passwdord in a Icecast-only
> server farm?

In a master/slave setup, where a slave mirrors all the non-hidden
streams, the slave needs to get a streamlist, and it does that by
requesting that list from the master server using the relay password
that is specified in the master xml file <relay-password>.  So
relay-password in the master must match the master-password in the slave.

karl