[Icecast] overlaying prerecorded content over a live stream...

Michael Hale giftculture at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 19:12:30 UTC 2005

Hello everyone!

I've been looking into using icecast to help get some terrestrial
radio stations into Internet broadcasting.  One of their requirements
is that they have the ability to overlay internet-only content over
the regional commercials that they run during their programming - ie,
during breaks between their normal programming, they don't want ads
from their advertisers going out over the internet, but rather, they
would prefer to substitute special content.

I could see doing this by having a fallback stream loop continuous
internet only content and switching over to the stream during
commercial breaks by terminating the main stream but that would seem
not to be the optimal solution due to a clash with how I planned to
introduce redundancy into the system (by having two machines onsite,
each encoding the live stream from the boards realtime and relaying
to two geographically distinct icecast servers, each set up as
fallbacks for the other).

Has anybody here had to deal with a similar problem and/or have
suggestions for the best way in which to proceed?

Thank you very much for your help.
--
Michael Hale                <smiley at gift-culture.org>
gift culture:                http://www.gift-culture.org