[Icecast] Forcing individual clients to alternate mount points

Dick Trump DTrump1 at TriadAV.com
Sat Aug 20 17:54:35 UTC 2005

Greetings

I'm new to the forum but have been streaming successfully with
SimpleCast/IceCast2 for about 8 months.  Both Simplecast and IceCast2
are running on the same Win2K system.  Now I want to do something that
has me stumped.  It really is a two pronged problem.

Here's the setup:

Icecast is encoding the same live audio to multiple mount points,
allowing me to easily track the reliability of the individual clients.
These are 24/7 actual RF radio station repeaters.  The clients are
running Linux and are unattended.

Now I want to be able to automatically switch a given client to an
alternate stream for an hour, then switch back to the main stream.  The
alternate stream will be pre-recorded material, while the main stream
continues the live audio being encoded by SimpleCast.

So, my questions are:

1.  Can I set up a secondary streaming source that establishes my
alternate mount point?  This can't be SimpleCast since it is live only.
 Do I just use a different port number?  Any recommendations for the
streaming source?

2.  I know that using the admin facilities I can manually force a
client to an alternate mount point.  But is there a good way to do this
on an automated basis?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dick Trump