[Icecast] id3-tags of static files

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Mon Aug 15 03:42:32 UTC 2005

The protocol of sending of metadata over a stream (which is HTTP) does not
allow for this type of thing.  The problem is not necessarily the fact that
the id3 tags are at the end of the files, as id3v2 does not have this
restriction, but rather just the "agreed" upon protocol for handling
metadata for streamed mp3s (and I'm only going to talk about mp3s here,
since it's different for other media).  For mp3 streaming, there is only
ONE metadata protocol that is adopted by the majority of players.  This is
the one referred to as the "Shoutcast Metadata Protocol" (google will tell
you more about this).  The Shoutcast Metadata Protocol does not use id3
tags at all, nor does it use id3v2.  So if you forced icecast (or most
likely your source client) to send id3 tags over the stream, they would be
sent to the client player and the client player would not know how to
handle them (the code that handles the streaming of mp3s is different than
the one that handles local files).

oddsock