[Icecast] Tricking the Shoutcast YP

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon Sep 20 01:23:12 UTC 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 05:44, Jason wrote:
> Has anyone had luck in tricking the Shoutcast YP to allow icecast feeds?

Others have given you some hints as to what would be needed if you wanted to
change the code to trick the shoutcast directory into listing you, but I
thought I'd give a bit of reasoning here as to why icecast doesn't already do
this.

The shoutcast people have (through their policy of banning people who do this)
made it very clear that non-shoutcast servers aren't welcome on their
directory listings. If we made icecast fake the appropriate responses, they'd
just change the server to check something else, or ban all the sites using
this feature - it wouldn't help for long. So we think it'd be a waste of
time.

Mike