[Icecast] TIP: using icecast in chroot mode with YP announcing

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sat Sep 18 11:50:36 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 12:15, ACiDAngel wrote:

> Afte noone could gave me a help I  found a solution for myself.
> In icecast chroot mode the resolving/nscd does not work.
> Also not, if the libresolv is copied to the icecast chroot.
> (dunno if this is a chroot problem or if it is a problem/feature in
> combination with gresecurity kernel patches which i use)
>
> If I put hosts in icecastroot/etc and write into that hosts file my yp
> hostnames it works fine.
> I announce on xiph and oddsock so I created the following "hosts" file in
> the chrooted etc dir:

whenever an app uses a chroot setup, a working environment needs to be
setup beforehand, that includes shared libs and any other needed files
in /dev, /etc, /bin, and maybe /var and /tmp.  The exact layout varies
depending on the app and how it's configured.

The strace should of shown no connect attempt to the YP servers, but the
lack of /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf will probably be the
problem in that case.

karl.