[Icecast] Questions on setting up icecast

JLB jlb at twu.net
Tue Sep 14 01:26:33 UTC 2004

Sorry, gang. The FAQ didn't seem to answer me, nor did Googling...

I merely want a simple solution to do the following:

I am setting up a streaming server for in-house use.

I want it to broadcast the RAW MP3 DATA from my actual MP3 files, as I
listen to them in xmms.

In other words, I DO NOT want:

XMMS ---> decode to wave ---> re-encode to MP3 ---> icecast ---> listeners

I want:

XMMS ---> icecast ---> listeners

Surely this is do-able using a VBR stream? In other words, I DO NOT want
my MP3s to be decoded, then re-encoded, then sent over the network (the
re-encoding, of course, introducing further lossiness). I want the actual
raw MP3 frames to be sent as a VBR stream to the listeners. I want the MP3
to sound PRECISELY as good on the listening machine as on my machine.

Surely this is do-able?

--
J. L. Blank, Systems Administrator, twu.net