[Icecast] m3u problems

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Fri Oct 29 02:57:36 UTC 2004

On Friday 29 October 2004 12:11, oddsock wrote:
> At 03:30 AM 10/28/2004, you wrote:
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >I am using icecast 2.0.2 using the webroot (no mount point) to serve all
> >the ogg files
> >within the folder that is the webroot.  According to the documentation I
> >should be able to take the audio
> >(test.org) file name and add a .m3u extension, and icecast should
> >automatically generate a m3u file in response.
> >However at the moment it serves the test.org file as the m3u file. This
> >unfortunately won't play in a number
> >of different players (I think this is a mime thing).
>
> I believe this functionality is only in trunk version of icecast (i.e. not
> 2.0.2).  It may be that the docs for 2.0.2 are wrong, because I believe I
> added that capability (a more generalized implementation of the m3u
> generation that works with both mountpoints and static files) post 2.0.

2.0.2 has this functionality. You rewrote it after (for 2.1); the commit
message says "fix m3u generation logic that was not working for static
files". The 2.0.2 implementation is entirely different from what you added in
2.1, but looks busted in the way described (it serves the file directly,
rather than generating an m3u file. Oops).

Your 2.1 implementation is more general as well(it doesn't bother specifically
checking if a source exists, or if the file (in fileserving mode) exists, it
just generates the m3u file regardless.

So, the docs are right (the feature existed in 2.0.2), but due to a fairly
stupid bug (on my part, I think) it doesn't work usefully for static files.

Anyway, as to the original poster's problem: either don't use the
autogeneration of m3u files for static files, or upgrade to the 2.1 release
candidate, where this works.

Mike