[Icecast] icecast cpu test

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Tue Oct 12 04:20:55 UTC 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 11:52 PM, Andy Baxter wrote:

> What I would like to know is whether this level of cpu use is expected
> (seems very low), and generally what kind of spec machine we would
> need to
> serve up to maybe 100 simultaneous on-demand or real time streams?

Questions like this are inane and pointless.

The answer is almost always the following: Buy the biggest CPU and as
much memory as you can afford or wish to spend. CPU power is rarely the
limiting factor these days.

You kind of answered your own question anyways... I mean, you say you
had 500 streams being pulled and the box wasn't taxed... and now you're
asking about 100... am I missing something here?

/dale