[Icecast] Can't connect winamp source to icecast server

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Tue Oct 5 14:30:20 PDT 2004

Leo Currie wrote:
> Greg Trounson wrote:
>> Gidday,
>> I have a winamp 2.95 source that cannot upload the stream to my
>> icecast server.
> I'm assuming you're trying the Nullsoft Shoutcast DSP plugin.

That's the one.

>> Since icecast is compatible with shoutcast surely a winamp source
>> should be able to connect?
> I'm afraid not, but this is because Icecast uses mountpoints, which lets
> you specify multiple streams per server, e.g:
>     my-server.com:8000/radiohiband.ogg
>     my-server.com:8000/radioloband.ogg
>     my-server.com:8000/demo_mp3
> etc.
> This is in contrast to SHOUTCast which provides only a single stream per
> server instance. (so for the above example, you'd need to run 3 copies
> of SHOUTCast on 6 different ports, except of course you can't stream in
> vorbis!)

The problem is that I have someone who insists on using the win32/winamp
combination as the source, and I'd rather use icecast as the server
instead of the nullsoft shoutcast implementation.

You say above that I'd need to run 3 copies of shoutcast on 6 ports to
handle 3 streams, so is it possible to use SHOUTCast send a single
stream to an icecast server?

> Try the Oddcast plugin instead -
> http://www.oddsock.org/tools/oddcastv2_wa2/

Thanks, I'll give that a go for my own tinkering.