[Icecast] icecast cpu test

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 03:52:44 UTC 2004

I just ran a test of icecast to see how much cpu it uses. I set 500
instances of wget downloading from the mount point over loopback, and the
cpu usage of the server was still barely reaching 0.3% on a 1.4G machine.
The total bandwidth was 15Mbit/s. Each stream was 64 kbit/s. (I think some
of the downloads weren't running fully - 15M/64k=240). I haven't tested
over ethernet yet.

What I would like to know is whether this level of cpu use is expected
(seems very low), and generally what kind of spec machine we would need to
serve up to maybe 100 simultaneous on-demand or real time streams?