[Icecast] Re-Assembling SongData in Icecast Streams..

Ian Andrew Bell hello at ianbell.com
Wed Nov 24 10:00:01 UTC 2004

Right... I understand how the stream works and we have no confusion at
all then.

So I need to create a script to re-inject MP3 Metadata from my
handy-dandy XML file (when it changes) which is easily done if, as you
say, there're a few variables that the admin.cgi can listen for (of
course Icecast has no admin.cgi)

The info you've provided for Shoutcast is useful and you allude to some
other icecast methods  ... need documentation for this function of
icecast and googling produces no joy, nor do the official or unofficial
guides for icecast.  The Smackfu link is OK as a cursory introduction
to how to pull attributes from a stream but not so instructive in
injecting them in and it lists one of the variables.

What are the variables used in the shoutcast-metadata-protocol and how
do they work?

I'm guessing through some extensive googling and have found the
following... but a definitive answer and list of variables would be
very, very helpful:

  streamtitle
  streamname
  streamurl
  streamgenre
  title
  artist
  album

By inference I'm guessing that the shoutcast method is therefore:

http://server:port/admin.cgi?
mode=updinfo&pass=password&song=Booga&streamtitle=Fubar .... ad
nauseum.

...and the password that is relevant is the admin password.  Of course,
I'm running Icecast 2.1 now.

What's the icecast method and what variable names are supported... and
are there any that AREN'T used in the shoutcast-metadata-protocol?

Is it as simple as:

http://server:port/admin/stats.xsl?
mode=updinfo&pass=password&song=Booga&streamtitle=Fubar   ???

-Ian.