[Icecast] LAN Streaming

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Nov 17 06:03:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 06:40:18PM +1300, Peter McCaffrey wrote:

> I understand that to stream over the internet you need a streaming
> server. Correct?
> BUT for me, streaming over our LAN, will that be necerssary? Ideally I
> would like to use the computer that is running Icecast to stream the
> audio to the other computers.

If I understand your question correctly, then no, you do not need a
streaming server.

That is to say, Icecast *is* a streaming server, and of course you have
to have a server running somewhere to send audio between machines. What
you may be thinking of as a streaming server is a separate copy of
icecast running somewhere with a high-bandwidth connection, usually in a
remote data center. That's useful if you need to serve a lot of
listeners at once, but in theory it doesn't matter if people connect to
the local icecast on your machine over the lan, or some remote icecast
on a bigger machine carrying the same stream, as long as there's enough
bandwidth to go around.

If that's not what you were asking, I guess you'll have to try again.
:-)

Cheers,
 -r