[Icecast] Multi-Level Fallbacks

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Nov 9 23:03:35 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 08:44, mark burdett wrote:
> re: fallbacks & moving listeners, i've also seen/heard problems w/
> mplayer and other free mp3 players..  i haven't yet done exhaustive
> testing to figure out which variables cause problems on which clients..

At the very least, I wouldn't use fallbacks to move clients between streams
that differ in sample rate or channel count - few, if any, mp3 decoders will
work correctly in that case.
Changing bitrate alone _should_ work ok - from the decoder/player point of
view, it looks mostly like VBR audio.

Icecast could do a little better and only move clients at frame boundaries,
but the mp3 sync patterns are good enough that clients should recover pretty
quickly despite that being missing.

Mike