[Icecast] ICECast in Flash / IEWin

EvilOverlord eviloverlord at imux.net
Wed Nov 3 08:05:03 UTC 2004

Ika OSCAOS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org>:
>

>>We don't sent a content-length header because there's no way to know the
>>content length in advance - it's a stream, after all!
>

> I kown this, after more than 1 hour the flash player stop to play. But during 1
> hour It's possible to listen music, better than hearing nothing.
>

>>>So, I made a small PHP proxy and now Flash works very well with icecast 2.
>>>Other solution is to add this header in the icecast 2 source code and
>>>compile it, but I don't have time to test.
>>
>>Whilst you're welcome to do something like this, it would be very
>>inappropriate for the normal icecast sources to do this - it's giving
>>deliberately wrong information that WILL cause problems.
>

> I'm agree with you it's not an appropriate solution, but it works. So can you
> give me the appropriate solution, I will replace my proxy as soon as you
> explain me how listener can listen my radio with flash players.

Unfamiliar as I am with the details of HTTP, would it be possible to
detect that the player connecting is a flash player and return a
stupidly long content-length, like 12 or 24 hours?

I know this is a hack and not a clean solution, but cleanliness of
design and practicalities have to meet in the middle sometimes.

Stephen
Liveice Project http://liveice.sourceforge.net/