[Icecast] Gettin station Ident played on connectiong to stream

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Nov 1 22:53:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 10:53:41PM +0000, DSA Lea, Engineering 04 wrote:

> Our listeners click on a link which ends in .m3u. So can this be done...if
> so how??  I really am new to this sorry!!

Just add a static file url with your station id to the m3u file before
the real stream url. Players will stream the id, and then advance to the
live url when it finishes.

eg:

listen.m3u contains:
http://station.co.uk/hello.ogg
http://station.co.uk:8000/stream-64.ogg

Newer versions of icecast can stream static files on demand, or you can
just use your regular webserver to serve the station id file.

Hope that helps,
 -r