[icecast] YP submission / cURL issue. (icecast 2.0.1 / gentoo)

cpickert at t3inc.us cpickert at t3inc.us
Wed May 26 07:15:48 UTC 2004

Mike:

Totally understood, I'll be doing my best. I spoke with Monty (Christopher
Montgomery via whois) at SXSW (South-by-SouthWest music/media
conference) about
this exact issue. His immediate response dealt with the slightly differently
implementations of POSIX-esque non-blocking IO on nicely POSIX-friendly
OSs(Linux,*BSD) vs. Win32 ... It's been doing this for roughly a year (since I
started w/ OddCast+IcecastWin32(OddSock build / Same as icecast.org ?)
but with
no easily descernable activity leading up to the crash, other than the CPU
utilization nonsense I've already rambled on. (which might make my oddcast
poop, but never icecast itself -- although they ALWAYS occured together. As
soon as we noticed the WM stream die, we knew the encoder crapped, and we
ALWAYS had to restart the icecast-win32 server).

The only thing I'm ''stuck'' w/ now (as I definitely want to assist you in
further exploration of the above) is that my Icecast cURL stuff is busted on
the Icecast 2.0.1 build in Linux/gentoo.. very bizarre.. I posted up the
original info back three posts. Any ideas on it? It's been replicated on two
gentoo boxes(tried different cURL versions, could it also be chroot? see
initial post if interested) I've also built it by hand via the 2.0.1 release
source tarball and came up w/ same results (same curl versions as listed in my
'equery' output from former posts.

Gotta have people knowing they can listen.. Especially since Real and iTunes
still can't get their stuff together for their players. Haven't tried the new
Helix Player Alphas (but Real10 doesn't seem to play an Icecast or .ogg
file)..
Has anyone?

-- chris pickert