[icecast] Fallback behaviour

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon May 24 01:48:50 UTC 2004

On Saturday 22 May 2004 10:43, Geoff Shang wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm looking at Icecast's fallback behaviour, particularly with the fallback
> override fuctionality that's in SVN Icecast.  Everything works well *if*
> you
> connect the client whilst the primary stream is connected.  When that
> source drops out, you fall through to the backup, and you  get pulled
> forward when it reconnects.   All well and good.  But if you try to connect
> when the primary stream is not connected, Icecast returns a source not
> found and leaves it at that.
>
> Is this the intended behaviour?  There may be some good reason for this
> behaviour, but I personally can't think of one. Surely part of the point of
> this functionality is to have a single mount that listeners can connect to.
> Now I know I could set up a relay from one mount to another and put my
> primary source on at the time the relay is set up, but this would seem like
> a bit of overkill and also a bit of a cludge.  And daisy-chaining fallbacks
> would be made infinitely more difficult to set up.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Geoff.

This sounds like a bug. It's certainly designed to accept connections on the
'missing' mountpoint and re-direct them to the fallback.

I'm in the middle of moving, so I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to check
this out, but hopefully soon. Could you file a bug report in bugzilla
(http://bugs.xiph.org) please?

Mike