[icecast] Fallback behaviour

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Sat May 22 00:43:04 UTC 2004

Hi:

I'm looking at Icecast's fallback behaviour, particularly with the fallback
override fuctionality that's in SVN Icecast.  Everything works well *if*
you
connect the client whilst the primary stream is connected.  When that
source drops out, you fall through to the backup, and you  get pulled
forward when it reconnects.   All well and good.  But if you try to connect
when the primary stream is not connected, Icecast returns a source not
found and leaves it at that.

Is this the intended behaviour?  There may be some good reason for this
behaviour, but I personally can't think of one. Surely part of the point of
this functionality is to have a single mount that listeners can connect to.
Now I know I could set up a relay from one mount to another and put my
primary source on at the time the relay is set up, but this would seem like
a bit of overkill and also a bit of a cludge.  And daisy-chaining fallbacks
would be made infinitely more difficult to set up.

Thoughts?

Geoff.