[icecast] Configuring icecast for lowest buffering/latency

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Tue Mar 23 23:07:34 UTC 2004

Hi:

Icecast, at least the release version, doesnt' employ much if anything in
the way of buffering.  My understanding is that the development code has
some code to prebuffer and burst on connect, but my understanding is that
this isn't the default configuration.

The only sources of latancy will be from the streaming source (i.e.
simplecast in your case), and the HTTP client.  The client is likely to be
the greatest cause of latency.  Check to see if it has any buffer settings.

Geoff.