[icecast] Configuring icecast for lowest buffering/latency

Enrico Minack enrico.minack at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Mar 23 16:53:17 UTC 2004

> How can I configure the Icecast server to use as minimum buffering as
> possible so I can reduce the latency that the http streaming on the local
> box introduces?
as far as I know, icecast and liveice have the smallest influence on the
delay in that chain. The biggest delay is produced by the client player's
buffer. Have your checked this out?

Why do you need such a low latency?

Why do you consider livecaster's stream being more efficient than the
HTTP-Stream? Actually, after the HTTP-Header there are just raw MP3-Data. In
comparision to that, livecaster puts these MP3-Data into an RTP-protokoll,
which produces more overhead than 'raw' http. And you may be faced random
packet loss.

Or do you mean the network load being more efficient?

Enrico