[icecast] Configuring icecast for lowest buffering/latency

Matt Trim matt at sv.net.au
Tue Mar 23 12:13:31 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm using Icecast on a windows pc as a "gobetween" to output from a
streaming encoder, bounce it of an icecast server locally on the workstation
and then being picked up from the local icecast server and relayed on again.
(I'm using liveCaster from www.live.com as it allows me to send the audio
stream as UDP which is more efficient than HTTP streaming - unfortunately it
does not accept audio directly from the windows app [Simplecast], but reads
an http stream, which is why I need icecast in the middle as the glue to
hold it together!)

How can I configure the Icecast server to use as minimum buffering as
possible so I can reduce the latency that the http streaming on the local
box introduces?

Is it as simple as setting <queue-size> to something very small like 1024 or
would I need a customer recompile of icecast server to set all the buffers
to minimum settings?

Cheers,

Matt