[icecast] Ices re-encodes have died

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Tue Mar 9 16:44:53 UTC 2004

Hi:

As an adendum, we restarted ices without touching icecast.  All three
streams came up and seem to be stable.

I note from the stats page that the two re-encoded streams died on the same
song.  Here is the output of ogginfo running on that file.  Note the stuff
at the bottom.

Processing file
"/var/music/Emerson,_Lake_&_Palmer/Pictures_At_An_Exhibition/11-The_Great_Gates_Of_Kiev._The_End.ogg"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: 638b57af): type vorbis
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20030909 (1.0.1)
Channels: 2
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 112.001000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
User comments section follows...
        ARTIST=Emerson, Lake & Palmer
        ALBUM=Pictures At An Exhibition
        TITLE=The Great Gates Of Kiev. The End
        DATE=1971
        GENRE=Rock
        TRACKNUMBER=11
Vorbis stream 1:
        Total data length: 4184073 bytes
        Playback length: 5m:06.371s
        Average bitrate: 109.254946 kbps
Logical stream 1 ended
Warning: Invalid header page, no packet found
Warning: Invalid header page in stream 2, contains multiple packets
New logical stream (#2, serial: 2cf8d192): type invalid
Warning: stream start flag not set on stream 2
Warning: sequence number gap in stream 2. Got page 984 when expecting page
0. Indicates missing data.
Logical stream 2 ended

We've no idea how this came about.  The guy who ripped it uses ABCDE which
calls oggenc to do the encoding.  The vendor tag suggests that the oggenc
used is that which is contained in vorbis-tools 1.0.1.  The rip was
apparently done during the last week in december.  the really odd thing is
that tracks 10 and 11 are affected like this, whereas tracks 1-9 and 12 are
fine.

anyway, I guess that's possibly what put ices into a weird state.

Geoff.