[icecast] bit/bytes

MacSym macsym69 at yahoo.fr
Tue Mar 2 22:38:20 UTC 2004

Hi Dale,

I agree with you but how do you suggest convincing these software companies
to implement ogg support in their players? I can imagine Itunes and XMMS but
it's going to be harder for Windows Media Player and Winamp. Microsoft is
promoting its very own WMA. I guess they implemented mp3 because it was
already too popular to reject it. About Winamp, I don't know if Nullsoft is
going to support ogg because Icecast would create a bigger competition to
Shoutcast...
Anyway, there are very good news, I think Real is going to implement ogg in
its next version of RealOne. It might already be available in RealOne2 beta,
but I didn't test it yet. It's a good start because Real is very popular
(installed on 57% of computers...). Also a good point would be some hardware
devices supporting ogg (mp3 players...), but I guess it is a second step:
first software support, then hardware.

Cheers,

MAX