[icecast] bit/bytes <= broadcasting : the state of art ?

Clement Cavadore clement at frequence3.net
Mon Mar 1 10:54:38 UTC 2004

Le lun 01/03/2004 à 11:21, EISELE Pascal a écrit :
> Our webradio (Let's Go Zik - http://www.letsgozik.com) works with
> donation and partenship. I think it's the only way to keep a webradio
> alive for the moment... We are making our radio in a associative way...
> It's quite hard to "find" listeners. Currently we are nearly
> broadcasting for 60 simultaneous listeners (and approx. 5000 differents
> listeners per months)...

Yeah, and anyway... it's not possible to think about paying for bandwith
with streaming applications.... it's too greedy !

> The problem is the same for everybody : bandwith !
> Multicast is not a reliable solution for the moment because operating
> systems such as Windows doesn't support it yet (Windows 95,95,ME,NT).
> Moreover, the worldwilde web is not multicast ready yet !

Maybe with IPv6 (just dreamin', don't worry)... but IPv6 is not being to
arrive soonly :-(

> The P2P broadcasting is not the solution, I think... Here (in France),
> connection speed are 512 Kbps for download and 128 Kbps for upload. So,
> a listener couldn't re-send correctly the stream to another. Moreover,
> P2P broadcasting increase delay between the "real sound" (that are
> encoded at the studio) and the sound heard by listeners...

... and it may be re-encoded with a different bitrate/quality :(

--
Clément Cavadore
www.frequence3.org