[Icecast] Icecast + Ogg streaming protocols

Michael Smith msmith
Tue Jul 20 18:13:20 UTC 2004

On Monday 19 July 2004 05:36, HidayahOnline.org Admin wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a long-term goal of writing a PHP-based streaming serving using
> PHP's socket functionality, which would help me to implement all the
> necessary communications with the various clients and so on with a great
> amount of integration into my website.
>
> What I wanted to know is WHERE I can get a description of the Icecast2
> protocols and/or how I can find the information on the way various
> clients (Winamp, in particular) communicates with the server, so that I
> can do my own implementation via PHP or any other programming language,
> for that matter.
>
> I really appreciate any help in this regard!  :)

We don't have any real documentation for the source protocol, but I'm not sure
from your description whether you need that - it doesn't sound like you do.

For the client protocol, it's pure HTTP - which is well documented. If you're
doing it in PHP, you're presumably doing it inside a web server: the web
server can already do HTTP, you don't need to use the socket stuff.

Mike