[Icecast] Shout: "couldn't connect"

Jeremy Bierbach jeremy
Tue Jul 6 17:07:23 UTC 2004

Paul wrote:

> I am running Icecast 1.3.12-debian, with libshout 2.0 and Shout 2.0.1.
> When I run example.pl in the Shout build directory directory, I get
> the error "couldn't connect..." I'm not sure where to look to unravel
> this error. Icecast is working fine and streaming static files smoothly.

The reason is that Icecast 1.x doesn't support the HTTP shout protocol.
You would need to change the line
$conn->protocol(SHOUT_PROTOCOL_HTTP);
$conn->protocol(SHOUT_PROTOCOL_XAUDIOCAST);
to make example.pl work with Icecast 1.x. (For anyone else on the
mailing list who is wondering, this is all about the Shout.pm Perl
library and the example script distributed with it.)

But you will be much better off in the long run if you just start using
Icecast 2.x instead. Not to mention that Icecast 1.x doesn't support Ogg
Vorbis.

-- jeremy