[icecast] Log delay, recoverable error -1, replaygain

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Jan 22 00:28:55 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 00:42, Jesper Johnson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a few questions about the log files icecast produces, plus I have a
> little issue with replaygain but lets start with the icecast log stuff:
>
> If a client (listener) connects to icecast at, say, 12:00, the connection
> time is stored in the access log about 15-30 minutes later (or on
> disconnection). Is it possible to get icecast to log client connections
> immediately with the correct timestamp (so that a new
> connection/error/whatever would immediately produce a new line in the log
> file(s))? I'm working on a PHP script to monitor icecast connections and
> would like to do it by parsing the log files instead of continuously
> querying the icecast server itself via the web admin interface.

The log format requires that it is only written on disconnect.

It would be easy to add another form of logging that logged on connection, but
I'm not sure it's a good idea. I'll think about it.

> Another thing that bugs me a bit are the hundreds of lines of:
> [2004-01-10  02:00:36] DBUG format/format_generic_write_buf_to_client
> Client had recoverable error -1
>
> ...in the error log file. What is "recoverable error -1" and what causes
> it? Everything seems to work quite smoothly, but I was just wondering if
> there is a possible error in my config / network / something else.

It's a recoverable error - usually, it means the TCP send window is currently
full, so icecast has to wait a while before sending any more. There's a
reason this is logged only at 'DBUG' level.

Mike