[icecast] suggestion: add mp3 support to ices2

Philip D. Lowman lowman at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 20 04:17:45 UTC 2004

It says here there hasn't been much interest in handling mp3 with ices2:
http://www.icecast.org/files/ices_docs/faq.html

I just wanted to mention that I'm interested in doing so.  I use ices
for a web-based jukebox project called Tunez.  I have tried the other
suggested icecast streamers and have had major problems with both of
them (muse and liveice).  It would be really cool if the ices developers
merged MP3 playback support back into the new stream of Ices that way
MP3's and OGG's could be part of the same stream.  As it is now it would
be a major hack to support both formats (which leads me to aim towards
supporting the old ices 0.3 code which works with MP3).

Ogg vorbis support is great and all but I with the Icecast people would
realize how many people still use MP3, especially in a streaming
environment.  I'm glad Icecast 2.0 supports both and I'm hoping that the
Ices team decides to support both as well.