[icecast] bit/bytes

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Sun Feb 29 16:27:17 UTC 2004

for most stations that have this kind of listener capacity, they are
getting bandwidth from AOL/Nullsoft.  Nullsoft had (may still have) a
policy of offering free bandwith to stations they hand-picked.  They
were tapping into the rather huge amount of bandwidth that AOL had, and
thus could offer the kind of listener capacity you are seeing.
Alternatively, many stations also operate on bandwith donations (people
offering relays because they like the station)....I'd say most (if not
all) stations that have high listener capacity are operating using one
of these two mechanisms.

oddsock

> Yeah, I knew they had several servers for the same content, but the
> financial cost of such internet connections still remain the same...
>
> Cheers,
>
> MAX
Behalf Of
> Joe Jones
> Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 1:33 PM
> To: icecast at xiph.org
> Subject: RE: [icecast] bit/bytes
>
> If you look at the PLS file for SomaFM's "Goove Salad" channel you'll
see :

> [playlist]
> numberofentries=3
> File1=http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1018
> Title1=SomaFM Presents: Groove Salad 128k (Feed #1)
> Length1=-1
> File2=http://205.188.245.133:8076
> Title2=SomaFM Presents: Groove Salad 128k (Feed #2)
> Length2=-1
> File3=http://server2.somafm.com:8032
> Title3=SomaFM Presents: Groove Salad 128k (Feed #3)
> Length3=-1
> Version=2
>
> So for this channel they have 3 possible feeds to spread the load
over.  You

> could be clever and set up some sort of 'round-robbin' system to
spread the
> load evenly...but I imagine that in this case it's deteremined by the
number

> of connections per server - Feed #1 fills up to max of say 500
users...so
> next user is forwarded to Feed #2.
>

> Joe.
>

> >From: "MacSym" <macsym69 at yahoo.fr>
> >To: <icecast at xiph.org>
> >Subject: RE: [icecast] bit/bytes
> >Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:16:55 +0100
> >
> >Hi Goeff,
> >
> >Thanks for your precisions. You wrote: "Internet connections are also
> >expressed in bits, or kilobits, not Kilobytes"; then I guess a
connection
> >of
> >1Mb is also 1 megaBITS and NOT megaBYTES. There is something I don't
> >understand; how are affording small radios that have up to 1000
concurrent
> >listeners a 128Mb connection? Is there any magical solution I am not
aware
> >of?
> >
> >Thanks for clarifying this topic!
> >
> >MAX