[icecast] Icecast/IceS relay question

Joseph Wilhelm tarken at lyrical.net
Tue Feb 24 21:54:17 UTC 2004

Okay... I realize this has probably been asked dozens of times, but I
can't seem to find a definitive answer after googling and archive
scanning.

What I'm looking to do is simply relay one stream (In this case, a
Shoutcast stream), re-encode it at a lower bitrate, and then
re-broadcast it at this lower bitrate. Obviously for purposes of
providing a dialup stream.

At this time, I don't have access to the system that provides the source
for the stream, so I need to pull the relay and do the re-encode
locally. Is ices able to do this? Or perhaps any of the other related
tools? I've found various Perl scripts to re-encode using different
tools (wget/curl to pull, lame to re-encode, then pushing to the
source), but I would prefer to use an "official" method if such a thing
exists.