[icecast] Q: Is it possible?

Enrico Minack enrico.minack at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Feb 13 11:00:26 UTC 2004

> You will hit two problems though.  The first is that you will need to have
> a stream for remote participants to listen to.
Yeah, that's right. If you want the remote speakers to be able to listen to
the other speakers this becomes a little complicated. If you hear your own
voice with a latency more than 1/10 or 1/5 second it becomes very
distracting! This latency really is a problem.

And mixing a certain signal for every remote speaker also means a huge
effort. And you need to decode each of this signal, which means you need to
create N MP3 streams, that's a lot of CPU laod.

But the remote Users don't need to hear the local speaker in 128kBit
quality, therefore you could establish a H323 session with all remote
speakers and the local speaker in it (if H323 works with multiple clients,
I'm not sure). This can be in low quality. Everybody can hear the other
speakers and vice versa. For broadcasting, the high quality signal from each
remote speaker is send to the studio (just one direction).

Here are pictures of the two layers, layer 1 is the icecast MP3-stream,
layer 2 is the H323 RTP-stream:
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~mie/layer_1.gif
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~mie/layer_2.gif

But I doubt that 2 programs (ices and the H323 software) can capture the
microphone channel of one soundcard simultaniously. Maybe there are
technologies out there to grant multiple access (I am sure there is),
otherwise two soundcards and two mics at each remote speaker location would
be necessary :-(

Well, this is getting quite complex ;-) I love it, though!

Enrico