[icecast] Q: Is it possible?

MacSym macsym69 at yahoo.fr
Wed Feb 11 22:58:25 UTC 2004

Hi Raul,

Here is how I would set it up to answer your scenarios:

-One Icecast server in Spain.
-One source in Spain
-One source in Honduras
-One source in Guatemala (for example)

I would reserve a mountpoint for each one of these sources:
-Spain = my_radio.mp3 (Your listeners will listen to this mountpoint ONLY)
-Honduras = Honduras.mp3
-Guatemala = Guatemala.mp3

Let's say you use Winamp/Oddcast as source clients. If, you want to
broadcast a live from Honduras, you won't ask your listeners to switch to
"Honduras.mp3" so you have to set up your Spanish source (Winamp/Oddcast) to
listen to "Honduras.mp3" and resend the stream to "my_radio.mp3". In this
way, there will be a smooth transition between the Spanish and the Honduran
sources because the final user will always listen to "my_radio.mp3" (not
Honduras.mp3 or Guatemala.mp3).

Also, if you want to listen to several sources without broadcasting it on a
single computer, you don't necessarily need several soundcards. You can run
more than one instance of Winamp/Oddcast and use a silent output plugin
(attached to this mail). In this way, the audio pipeline is managed by
software and not hardware.

I don't know if it's the best solution, but I am just suggesting.

Saludos de Barcelona,
(¡Yo tambien escribo desde España!)

MAX