Windows Media (was Re: [icecast] does icecast care what it streams?)

merkur merkur at calypse.de
Tue Feb 3 09:28:21 UTC 2004

> At 07:16 PM 2/2/2004, you wrote:
> [..] Similarly, the Windows Media
> Encoder (which can also be used to generate a video stream) also uses
> a connection protocol that is not supported by Icecast (they use a
> entirely different method which involves "pulling" the source stream
> from the client rather than the client "pushing" the source stream to
> the server.

As of WindowsMedia9, you can also have the Source Client "pushing"
the stream to the server, using the HTTP-POST-Method (at least it
looks like the source client is sending a POST-Request.. as I don't
have a WM-Server, I couldn't check out a true client<->server-
connection). Since it's Microsoft, I presume there is still some
propietary handling in the background. Would someone care to look
deeper into this? Are we even allowed to support WM9, according to
MS' licenese terms?

Oh, BTW: First post here (I guess.. been reading for almost a year
now, thanks for all the tips and a huge thank you for icecast2) :-)

merkur