[Icecast] Shoutcast compatibility suggestions

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Thu Dec 30 01:10:39 UTC 2004

oddsock wrote:

> The authentication handshaking (as well as the actual stream
> data) comes over "port + 1", while "port" is used only for sending in
> metadata updates.

Oh yuck!

> * The shoutcast DSP sends in metadata update requests over "port", but does
> not specify any kind of mountpoint (obviously since it knows nothing about
> them).

Indeed.  So much for my idea, at least in the form I presented it.  But
this does make it essential to have a regular listen socket on
shoutcastsourceport-1, which could probably be more strongly worded in the
docs (e.g. metadata updates won't work if you don't do this).  Of course,
I've not really checked the docs for this (it might already be in there),
but the config file sample seemed to suggest that it was a good idea rather
than strongly recommending against not doing it (if that makes any sense).

I do agree that defining port pairs would be a bit clunky, but the whole
thing has a ring of clunkiness about it (not Xiph's fault of course), and
given that we are treating the base port specially with the metadata then
perhaps this would be the best way to do it.  And perhaps it would be less
confusing to have a <shoutcastcompat> section with all the required values
or something.

Geoff.