[Icecast] Recommnded system

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Dec 22 23:27:08 UTC 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 05:48, Aaron Paulley wrote:
> Can't find any recommended system specs on the website.
>
> What are they? Will it run well on a Celeron 1GHz? How about a 700Mhz?
>
> I'm asking because the company I'm hosting through is running a
> special on 700Mhz and 1Ghz servers, and if Icecast will run on these,
> I may just go ahead and lease 4-5 more to move my icecast stuff onto
> dedicated servers.

Icecast itself has very low cpu requirements. If your system can handle the
network traffic, it can scale to several thousand concurrent listeners on
(for example; a system I tested it on a while ago) a 400 MHz system.

However, if you're also trying to do _encoding_ on the system, you'll run into
cpu limitations reasonably quickly if you have many simultaneous streams.
Most people don't do their encoding on the server, though, so this may well
be ok.

Mike