[Icecast] Low-bitrate audio encode/stream application

david feldman wb0gaz at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 22 21:28:18 UTC 2004

I am totally new to icecast, and would appreciate a pointer in the right
direction. My application is to encode audio (at the linux server) at a low
bit rate, say ~16 kbps, for transmission to a decoder at another location.
The audio source will be bandlimited (basically voice grade circuit such as
you'd find in a telephone application.) The decoder end (connected via a
TCP/IP session) would be a Windows CE 3.0 machine which may be limited to
MP3 decode format. I've looked through what documentation I could find on
icecast and haven't seen anything that tells me how to characterize the
audio encoding rules (how do you pick 16 kbps, 32 kbps, etc., stereo, mono,
etc.?) Anyway, a pointer to the correct documentation resource would be
greatly appreciated.

Tks,

Dave
wb0gaz at hotmail.com