[Icecast] Still the big Icecast problem!

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Dec 18 01:11:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:00:19PM -0300, Mr Dihelson Mendonca wrote:

> The problem with Icecast OGG system is that common
> people doesn't want to download any other software in
> order to listen to a radio station, even a plugin...

Of course. But that's not the whole story. Microsoft only
supports MP3 because so many people listen to mp3 radio
stations and files. And before Window Media Player played
MP3, everyone had winamp installed because the nearest
teenager (if I may) had installed it as a way to listen to
cool--or at least free--music.

So, the more content is available in ogg, and the more
good and popular content that is available *only* in ogg,
the more people will install the players, and the more
vendors will ship support so their customers won't have
to.

> The problem is making Windows media Player to play it!
> And this may not have any solution.

There are plugins at http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/
you might give those a try.

Hopefully once they're stablized we can finally get
on the autodownload program and all this will go away.
Although people tell me it doesn't actually work.

 -r