[icecast] Using liveice-xmms with icecast

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Sat Apr 24 18:31:31 UTC 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

> in an attempt to set up a little stream, i downloaded and installed
> both icecast2 and liveice-xmms.

Note that liveice-xmms more than likely does not work with icecast 2.0.
You can of course opt to use it with icecast 1.3.12, but the developers no
longer provide any support for it whatsoever, and many users have also made
the move to icecast 2.0.

If you want to use XMMS, I suggest looking at Oddsock's Oddcast DSP for
XMMS which you can get from oddsock.org.  Note that I've not ever used XMMS
so can't personally vouch for it, but it's built on the same core as all
the other versions plus the stream transcoder are built on, and I can vouch
for a couple of those.

Note to developers: This seems to have become an FAQ - this is the second
time this week I've answered this question.  Not sure how it should be
addressed on the site, but it probably should be somewhere.  Is there a FAQ
file up there currently?

Geoff.