[icecast] MP3 MetaData in WMP and RealOne

Stefan Neufeind stefan at neufeind.net
Thu Apr 8 08:43:16 PDT 2004



BEK_dns? Well, they are *really* crazy experimental imho :-))
They are using Icecast2.0-beta2 (seen in the http-header). However, 
those streams did not work in my RealPlayer at all, because the URL 
was missing a file-extension - and RealPlayer 2.0 didn't like that :-
)
Hmm, RealPlayer 10 still does not support the URLs directly :-(( 
However, if you use the m3u it works. And yes, I can confirm that 
RealPlayer 10 correctly receives the updates for interpret/name.

I agree with you that WMP 9 does not seem to support the title-
updates.

  Stefan

On 8 Apr 2004 at 17:14, MacSym wrote:

> I am talking about the meta-data: Artist - Song. It's weird because you are
> the second person on the list who doesn't get it working in Real... I just
> tried again with "BEK_dns" and "Radio Alcanzando Naciones" the 2 first MP3
> radios I found in the stream directory and everything worked perfectly for
> Real (but not for WMP).
> 
> In RealPlayer, I clicked HELP->About RealPlayer to check my version: it's
> the "version 10.0, Beta Build 6.0.12.687"
> 
> Now I don't know if BEK_dns and Radio Alcanzando Naciones run on Icecast1 or
> Icecast2.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-icecast at xiph.org [mailto:owner-icecast at xiph.org] On Behalf Of
> Stefan Neufeind
> Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 1:34 PM
> To: icecast at xiph.org
> Cc: MacSym
> Subject: RE: [icecast] MP3 MetaData in WMP and RealOne
> 
> Did you really see meta-data? Or did it show data from the playlist-
> file? Or did you see the data (name and genre) provided in the http-
> header upon connect?
> 
> E.g.:
> http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-
> playlist.pls?rn=4219&file=filename.pls
> 
> Shows "CLUB 977 The 80s Channel (HIGH BANDWIDTH)" in WinAmp. But this 
> is due to the "title" set in the .pls and/or provided in the http-
> header.
> 
> When I open http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1040 directly in WMP 9, it 
> also shows the station-name provided by "icy-name" in the header and 
> the genre without problems, it seems.
> 
> So WinAmp seems to have general icy-support. But maybe it doesn't 
> support updates sent in the data-stream but just information provided 
> in the http-header?
> 
> 
> Max, would really appreciate if you could tell us a reproducable URL 
> where you see metadata actually working.
> 
>   Stefan
> 
> On 8 Apr 2004 at 12:50, MacSym wrote:
> 
> > It works with Peercast because Peercast receives the headers from Icecast2
> > and sends its own headers back to the client (Winamp, WMP, Real...).
> > Remember that Peercast is a client AND a server... I guess Peercast
> doesn't
> > send back the headers in the same way than Icecast2. Maybe Peercast
> doesn't
> > use ICY/X-audiocast.
> > 
> > Talking about Real (v9.0 and 10), I already got the metadata displayed
> from
> > Icecast but I didn't check if the server I was listening to was Icecast1
> or
> > Icecast2.
> > 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: owner-icecast at xiph.org [mailto:owner-icecast at xiph.org] On Behalf Of
> > Stefan Neufeind
> > Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 12:21 PM
> > To: icecast at xiph.org
> > Cc: Allan
> > Subject: Re: [icecast] MP3 MetaData in WMP and RealOne
> > 
> > Maybe it works with WinAmp because peercast is received via a plugin 
> > that supports this?
> > 
> > http://www.peercast.org/download.php
> > WinAmp 2.x/5.x:
> > - Self-extracting installer
> > - Installs WinAmp plugin client
> > - Enables peercast:// links
> > - Free. No adware/spyware
> > 
> > Allan, I assume you have a plugin installed for listening to 
> > peercast?
> > 
> >   Stefan
> > 
> > On 7 Apr 2004 at 21:21, oddsock wrote:
> > 
> > > At 08:30 PM 4/7/2004, you wrote:
> > > >On Thursday 08 April 2004 01:40, Allan wrote:
> > > > > Hi
> > > > >
> > > > > Can anyone tell me how to get Metadata (Artist & Title) to display
> in
> > WMP
> > > > > and RealOne
> > > > >
> > > > > It seems to work in WinAMP5 and if a rebroadcast the stream via
> > PeerCast
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Im using SAM2 and Icecast2
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >They should just work if the clients (wmp, real) have support for the 
> > > >metadata
> > > >- and since you say that it works if you rebroadcast via peercast, this
> > > >suggests that they _do_ have support.
> > > 
> > > WMP does not support shoutcast-style metadata....definately not.  And
> I'd 
> > > be REAL (pun intended) suprised  if Helix/Real supported it.
> --- >8 ----
> List archives:  http://www.xiph.org/archives/
> icecast project homepage: http://www.icecast.org/
> To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to 'icecast-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be ignored/filtered.
> 
> 
> --- >8 ----
> List archives:  http://www.xiph.org/archives/
> icecast project homepage: http://www.icecast.org/
> To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to 'icecast-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be ignored/filtered.

<p>--- >8 ----
List archives:  http://www.xiph.org/archives/
icecast project homepage: http://www.icecast.org/
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to 'icecast-request at xiph.org'
containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No subject is needed.
Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be ignored/filtered.



More information about the Icecast mailing list