[icecast] icecast2 can not log

dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Fri Apr 2 04:07:50 UTC 2004

Hello,
    I'm trying to setup icecast2 and darkice on a FreeBSD test system prior
to putting it in to production use. I've downloaded and installed the ports
for both without a problem, created directories logs and conf within the
icecast root which is /usr/local/share/icecast, and created an icecast user.
Then i edited /usr/local/share/icecast/conf/icecast.xml, the relevant
entries are:

    <paths>
  <!-- basedir is only used if chroot is enabled -->
        <basedir>/usr/local/share/icecast</basedir>

        <!-- Note that if <chroot> is turned on below, these paths must both
             be relative to the new root, not the original root -->
        <logdir>/usr/local/share/icecast/logs</logdir>
    </paths>

    <logging>
        <accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
        <errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
       <loglevel>4</loglevel> <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
    </logging>

    <security>
        <chroot>1</chroot>
        <changeowner>
            <user>icecast</user>
            <group>icecast</group>
        </changeowner>
    </security>
</icecast>

When i try to start icecast i get a message, changed root successfully to
/usr/local/share/icecast, changed uid to 81, changed groupid to 81. And
then:
"Fatal can not open access.log"
"Fatal could not open error.log"
"Fatal: could not start logging"
My start command is icecast -c /usr/local/share/conf/icecast.xml. Firstly, i
verified that the logs directory did exist then i changed it's owner and
group to icecast, and tried another restart. I then tried again with the
same results. I then went in to logs and touch both access.log and error.log
and changed there owner and group to icecast. Another restart and i got the
same error message. Any suggestions welcome.
Some urgency!
Thanks.
Dave.