[icecast] noobie questions

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Fri Sep 12 20:39:52 UTC 2003

Hi:

Since icecast2 is still heading to an initial release, there's no official
guide for this stuff, but there is a bit of stuff out there.

First, lets clarify what you want to do.  When you say "CD content", I
assume you mean audio CD's.

To provide a stream requires two parts - a source or streamer, and a
server.  The source is equivalent to a radio studio, the server is
equivalent to the radio transmitter.  These can either run on the same
machine or on seperate ones.  the machine that runs the server is the one
that needs the required bandwidth to serve all the listeners you want to
accommodate.  Icecast is the server software.  The source software will
depend on what format you want to stream - MP3 or Ogg Vorbis.  Ices2 will
do Ogg Vorbis and can input from the soundcard (requires libshout).  Other
Linux source clients that come to mind are Darkice (does MP3 and Ogg
Vorbis) and the Oddcast plugin for XMMS (also does both MP3 and Ogg
Vorbis).  I'm sure there are others I'm overlooking.

Kerry cox has written a rather comprehensive-looking unofficial howto which
you can read at http://quasi.ksl.com/icecast/

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
ICQ number 43634701

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html