[icecast] using the latest icecast and ices to stream both ogg and mp3

boink boink at tetter.xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 22 22:16:57 UTC 2003

darkice is an execellent bit of software, very well written. and the
author of the darkice software, akos, is very active on the darkice ML.

http://yp.tilos.hu:9000/tilos_high.ogg <= for a darkice stream.

b.

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 12:05:55PM -0500, Brendan Cully wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 November 2003 at 10:50, Kerry Cox wrote:
> > So basically, I download and install ices 0.3, fire it up as well and
> > then using the currently running icecast server, just set a new
> > mountpoint. Instead of /ksl.ogg I would make a /ksl.mp3 mountpoint. This
> > would be configured in the configuration file included with ices 0.3?
> > I am only doing live streaming, feeding a raw audio feed into the box,
> > and then encoding it on the fly.
> > Thanks much.
> > KJ
>
> I'm afraid ices 0.x doesn't encode live streaming. You would have to
> pipe the audio into an encoder by hand, and feed stdin to ices.
>
> You might consider http://darkice.sourceforge.net/ as an
> alternative. I think it can do MP3 and Ogg from one process, though
> I've never used it myself.

Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit -
Seneca

(there is no great genuis without madmess)