Fw: [icecast] Some Question

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Mon Nov 10 14:40:09 UTC 2003

At 09:32 AM 11/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>greetings,
>
>check the archives of this mailing list for additional information.

come on, do a bit more research before posting something like this,
incorrect information causes alot of confusion.

>however, here are some points:
>
>- icecast != shoutcast
>- icecast is primarily for ogg streaming <http://xiph.org/> not mp3
>   streaming.

untrue.  Icecast2 supports both vorbis AND mp3 streaming equally...There is
no preferential support, although since Xiph is also the owner of ogg
vorbis, we STRONGLY encourage the use of vorbis...but from a technical
standpoint both are very much supported.

>- join irc.freenode.net in #icecast to chat.
>- client side (win32 workstations) need special "plugin" for the players.
>   you can find one that works with winamp, but I've never used it so I don't
>   know how good it is since I use xmms.

most of the major media players (winamp, foobar2k) come with vorbis input
plugins now, so no "special" plugins are needed....Winamp has been bundled
with vorbis support for a while now, and foobar2k always has....

oddsock