[icecast] no mp3s with ices2!? an other way?

Karl Heyes k.heyes at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 31 11:49:11 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 10:29, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> I have mp3s as input and can't convert them all. And since my
> listeners will ONLY use mp3-streaming I don't want the overhead and
> quality-loss of converting mp3 to ogg and later stream-transcode them
> from ogg back to mp3. That's not worth it.

> So why can't support for mp3 be added to ices2? From a technical
> point, I mean? Somebody said "It's not and never will be". Any good

All transcoding suffers from this. it doesn't matter if you do it before
hand converting all your files or trancoding on-the-fly inside something
like ices.

Nothing is stopping it technically, but it's the non-technical points
that are stopping this, there are patents on mp3 that people need to
consider, ices2 is a xiph project so producing ogg streams comes before
sorting out mp3 and of course some developers have to be interested in
producing mp3 streams.

There is nothing wrong with having multiple apps talking to icecast2.

karl.