[icecast] icecast 2 CVS version doesn't compile

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Thu May 29 00:26:09 UTC 2003

>Right now, since we aren't yet at release point, I think the highest
>priority is having it compile out of the box on as many machines as
>possible. The second priority is exercising as much code as possible.
>
>So the current behaviour is to enable YP by default (exercising the YP
>code), but to disable it with a warning message if the curl library
>isn't available or of an adequate version (increasing the odds of a
>successful untweaked compilation).
>
>I've added a --disable-yp option. Obviously this turns off YP even if
>curl is installed. --enable-yp on the other hand causes configure to
>error out if curl isn't available.
>
>How does that sound?

I don't understand what is wrong with a simple mandatory version check for
curl 7.10.x ? Now, granted I'm not a autoconf guru, but doing things like
"if you have version 7.10.x of curl, then enable YP support, otherwise send
a warning disabling the yp code" seems just very wrong (and non-standard -
again not necessarily speaking from experience)....Most people have curl
installed, just the wrong version, so making sure they have the correct
version and blowing out of the configure script if not seems appropriate to
me.

So, I'd suggest :
enable YP by default, check for curl 7.10.x and if either curl does not
exist, or the version is not current enough, cause configure to error.
keep the --disable-yp for those who don't want to install curl and could
care less about listing in a yp.

oddsock